Intense Pulse Light (IPL)
IPL is a technology used by cosmetic and medical practitioners to perform various skin treatments for aesthetic and therapeutic purposes, including hair removal, photo and rejuvenation. IPL uses a broad spectrum of light that when used with filters, allows it to be used to treat several conditions. This can be achieved when your IPL technician selects the appropriate filter that matches a specific melanin in hair or oxyhemoglobin in blood vessels.
Belle Cherie Treatments IPL Hair Reduction
This light-based treatment is similar to a laser, but more gentle resulting in less down-time.
Our IPL treatment uses a high-powered, hand-held, computer-controlled flashgun to deliver an intense, visible, broad-spectrum pulse of light at a range of up to 1200nm. IPL for hair removal target the pigment melanin in the hair shaft that heats the hair follicle momentarily, which irreversibly cuts off the blood supply to the hair follicle, reducing its ability to produce further hairs.
- Do not apply self-tanners or spray tans for 4 weeks before treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure for 4-6 weeks before and after treatment.
- Do not use any retinol or retinoid products before treatment.
- Tell your technician if you have a history of hyperpigmentation. Depending on your skin type a pigmentation treatment may be started 2-6 weeks prior to treatment.
- Advise your technician if you suffer from mild or sever cold sores
- You must notify the technician if you have any cosmetic tattooing on or near the area to be treated.
- You must notify if you are on aspirin, ibuprofen, iron supplementation, anticoagulants, vitamin E, or herbal supplements such as gingko, garlic, ginseng, fish oil, vitamin E. We recommend avoiding these products for 2 weeks prior to your procedure.
- Avoid alcohol for 1 week.
Over the next 7-30 days hair may appear to grow or shed. This can be confused as new growth hair but in fact are treated hairs being expelled from the skin. You may shave during this time but care should be taken to prevent the treated area for the first 4-5 day following treatment.
As with any IPL or laser treatment, it’s important to avoid having a sun-tan, fake tan or sunbathing following a treatment. Sun protection using at least an SPF 30 is essential following treatments to avoid complications.